• What is the Role of the COA Accreditation Coordinator?

Accreditation is a journey. One with a clear destination, but a less defined path. There are mile markers

READ MORE
  • Social Work and Environmental Justice: A Natural Partnership

“I want to make the world a better place. I want to help vulnerable people in my community. I want a career where I feel like I’m making a difference.” Are any of those sentiments familiar to you? They are to me and to many of the social

READ MORE
  • Data – Can We Call It Salvation?

It is comforting to believe we know ourselves, our community, the universe, and our place in it. How else could we get out of bed every morning? That said, we must admit that much of our knowledge is inherited or built on an imperfect (and

READ MORE
  • Support Evidence Based and Trauma-Informed Care for Undocumented Migrant Children

When the Family First Prevention Services Act (H.R.253) was passed, it recognized that the best placement for children is in the least restrictive setting. This is also true for undocumented children in the custody of the Office of Refugee

READ MORE
  • Chicago House: Applying the Philosophy of Harm Reduction

Thank you to Avi Rudnick, JD, MSW of Chicago House for this guest post! In the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the U.S., nearly 100 activists met at the historic Baton Show Lounge to address the dire need for housing for Chicagoans

READ MORE
  • Understanding the Impact of Social Determinants of Health

If someone were to rate their wellness level, their first instinct might be to measure their physical or mental health against common indicators, such as the presence of an illness or injury. These markers are a good place to start, but one’s

READ MORE
  • Three Objectives for Service Environment Design

In the high-intensity, resource-scarce universe of human services, the service environment itself often gets overlooked, or else overshadowed by compliance concerns. Against the backdrop of serving families at risk, individuals in crisis, and

READ MORE
  • Data for Change: Nonprofit Leaders Raise Their Voices About the State of the Sector

Thank you to Tiffany Langston of the Nonprofit Finance Fund for this guest post! History of the survey In 2008, the economic downturn created an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty, not just for individuals, families, small businesses, and

READ MORE
  • Child Welfare’s Complicated Relationship with the Opioid Epidemic

You are probably familiar with the ripple effect. The term refers to a sequence of events that is triggered by a particular incident or occurrence. The most common example is dropping an object into a body of water…let’s say a stone in a lake.

READ MORE
  • How to Engage Staff in the Accreditation Process

The accreditation process is most valuable when staff throughout the agency are engaged, but this isn't always easy. Harris County Protective Services for Children and Adults shares the fun, interactive methods they used to promote the culture of

READ MORE