fbpx
  • Understanding the Impact of Social Determinants of Health

If someone were to rate their wellness level, their first instinct might be to measure their physical or

READ MORE
  • Three Objectives for Service Environment Design

In the high-intensity, resource-scarce universe of human services, the service environment itself often gets overlooked, or else overshadowed by compliance concerns. Against the backdrop of serving families at risk, individuals in crisis, and

READ MORE
  • Data for Change: Nonprofit Leaders Raise Their Voices About the State of the Sector

Thank you to Tiffany Langston of the Nonprofit Finance Fund for this guest post! History of the survey In 2008, the economic downturn created an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty, not just for individuals, families, small businesses, and

READ MORE
  • Child Welfare’s Complicated Relationship with the Opioid Epidemic

You are probably familiar with the ripple effect. The term refers to a sequence of events that is triggered by a particular incident or occurrence. The most common example is dropping an object into a body of water…let’s say a stone in a lake.

READ MORE
  • How to Engage Staff in the Accreditation Process

The accreditation process is most valuable when staff throughout the agency are engaged, but this isn't always easy. Harris County Protective Services for Children and Adults shares the fun, interactive methods they used to promote the culture of

READ MORE
  • Workplace Volunteer Initiatives – Why They Matter in the Social Service Field

The social and human services field might conjure images of social workers seeing clients all day in their offices or case managers out on home visits, and although these are aspects of many jobs in this field, the day-to-day reality is often a bit

READ MORE
  • How to Combat the Effects of Adverse Childhood Experiences

Dr. Robert Block, former president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, has been widely quoted as saying, “Adverse childhood experiences are the single greatest unaddressed public health threat facing our nation today.” That is a statement

READ MORE
  • My Journey as a COA Volunteer

A big thank you to Stan Capela of Heartshare Human Services of New York for this guest post! My name is Stan Capela and I have been a COA Peer Reviewer and Team Leader since 1996. By the end of April, I will have completed 112 Site Visits. At

READ MORE
  • Keeping Our Trauma Therapists Healthy with Vicarious Resilience

A big thank you to Leslie Chaplin for this guest post! Making the shift from therapist to administrator can be tough.  Being an effective leader is not the same as being a great therapist and many of us get promoted without any formal

READ MORE
  • A Visual History of COA

This year COA turns 40. To honor the occasion, here's a timeline of key milestones that have helped define COA and its role in the human services field.  Infographic by Emily

READ MORE