Advantage Credit Counseling Service
Mary Loftus, VP, Agency Service
Our agency is preparing for reaccreditation under the Eighth Edition Standards. The COA site is well organized and very easy to use. Our team of employees working on the reaccreditation process has found the tools index to be very helpful, particularly some of the templates.
Proactive, comprehensive, and systematic risk management practices reduce the agency’s risk, loss, and liability exposure.
PA-RPM 3: Child Fatality and Near Fatality Review
The agency is accountable to the public and manages risk associated with child maltreatment and fatalities.
NA The agency does not provide child and family services.
Table of Evidence
|Self-Study Evidence||On-Site Evidence||On-Site Activities|
The agency increases accountability to the public, promotes safety, and manages risk by:
- aggregating information on fatalities and near fatalities from multiple data sources;
- actively participating on a multi-disciplinary child fatality and near fatality review team;
- participating in investigations of child fatalities and near fatalities, as appropriate, including assessing the safety of surviving children in the home; and
- ensuring adherence to the public disclosure policy, which reflects federal statute.
The agency incorporates recommendations from the child fatality and near fatality review team into its risk prevention, quality improvement, and long-term planning activities by:
- developing a customized improvement plan to implement recommendations;
- tracking progress toward plan implementation; and
- monitoring and periodically reporting back to the review team on the status of planned improvements.
The agency conducts internal administrative reviews following a fatality or near fatality of any child known to the agency to:
- assess the agency’s internal operations including adherence to policies and procedures; and
- identify and respond to the social and emotional support needs of staff.
Interpretation: Conducting administrative reviews of fatalities or near fatalities of “any child known to the agency” means an open case is not required in order to pursue an internal investigation. Agencies should follow state definitions regarding what it means to be “known to the agency” (e.g. how long ago contact last was made, the type of contact).
Interpretation: The agency should also conduct aggregate reviews of child fatalities or near fatalities to identify trends or patterns of concern as part of the quarterly review process in PA-RPM 2.03.
Interpretation: See PA-RPM 2.04 for additional incident review requirements, including requirements for corrective action.